Fide holds this session via the online platform Microsoft Teams. In order to attend it is essential to request your assistance through the AreaFide platform*.
- Patricia COVARRUBIA, Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Buckingham and an IP consultant at the Latin America IPR SME Helpdesk
- Justin HUGHES, Hon. William Matthew Byrne Distinguished Professor of Law at Loyola Marymount University
- Delphine MARIE-VIVIEN, PhD, researcher in IP and Food law, Deputy Director Research Unit Innovation, CIRAD.
- Arul George SCARIA, Associate Professor of Law and Co-Director of the Centre for Innovation, IP and Competition (CIIPC) at National Law University, Delhi
Further to the COVID Crisis, it is now generally admitted that our Planet will experience a complex period of economic recovery. Some of the business sectors using Geographical Indications are among those suffering deeply under the COVID crisis. Which role can be played by Geographical Indications in supporting economic recovery, and in promoting post-covid sustainable development? Should the role of Geographical Indications expand to new categories of goods and how can this be achieved, including in EU-promoted Free Trade Agreements? Referring to the criticism of the US and several other wealthy or developing countries against Geographical Indications, is the current system fair and promising for all? Will the US and EU approach converge or further diverge, and would there be space for diverse international harmonization scenarios? Speakers from Europe, India, North and South America with a variety of opinions will provide a worldwide picture of the future of Geographical Indications and Traceability in a deeply Covid transformed world.
Methodology: The dynamic of the session will respect the usual rules of Fide and the participation and interaction of the speakers and attendees as well, making only the changes required for its celebration on line. All sessions organized at Fide are convened under the Chatham House Rule, participants have the right to use the information they receive, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of any other participant may be revealed.
Schedule: The session will be held from 5.00 to 6.00 pm using the online platform Microsoft Teams.
The time shown is adjusted to the time zone of Peninsular Spain (Balearic Islands included). To check your time zone difference, please visit this link: www.timeanddate.com.
* Check registration conditions.Directors:
- Manuel DESANTES REAL, Professor of Private International Law, University of Alicante. Of Counsel, Elzaburu. Member of FIDEs Academic Council
- Javier FERNÁNDEZ-LASQUETTY QUINTANA, Abogado y profesor. Socio de Elzaburu SLP, Member of FIDEs Academic Council
- Laurent MANDERIEUX, Adjunct Professor of Intellectual Property Law and International and European Law, Member of the Directorate Board, Bocconi University. Member of FIDEs Academic Council