Fide holds this session via the online platform Microsoft Teams. In order to attend it is essential to request your assistance through the AreaFide platform*.
- Carmelo FONTANA, Senior Regional Counsel at Google
- Andrea RIZZI, Founding Partner at Rizzi & Partners. Visiting Lecturer at Queen Mary University London
- Alina TRAPOVA, Assistant Professor in Law and Autonomous Systems at The University of Nottingham
Fide and TIPSA (Transatlantic Intellectual Property Academy) present the 18th Global Digital Encounter in which we’ll gather with IP experts from the UK, Bulgaria and Italy to discuss the relevant topic that’s IP and Videogames.
During, and further to the COVID Crisis, digital business, and access to digital products and services increased exponentially. In this context, the video games sector, including e-sports, is by far one of the fastest growing sectors, with an immense development potential. This development does not interface easily with Intellectual Property Rules established progressively over the last 150 years for a traditional environment, and raises many questions: could video games be defined as a piece of Art, with all its meanings in terms of copyright? What are the boundaries on copyright protection for video games? What about the image rights of celebrities used in video games? How can the theory of IP exhaustion be applied to the case of video games? How does consumer protection law interact with video games under the current IP framework? Which role for platforms and Internet Service Providers? Should IP Protection be currently further enhanced? For this Session of our Global Digital Encounters, Speakers with a variety of opinions and/or stakeholders’ approaches will provide a worldwide picture of the future of IP and video games, including on re-imagining IP in this area in favor of both business and consumers/society.
Methodology: The dynamic of the session will respect the usual rules of Fide and the participation and interaction of the speakers and attendees as well, making only the changes required for its celebration on line. All sessions organized at Fide are convened under the Chatham House Rule, participants have the right to use the information they receive, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of any other participant may be revealed.
Schedule: The session will be held from 4.00 to 5.00 pm using the online platform Microsoft Teams.
The time shown is adjusted to the time zone of Peninsular Spain (Balearic Islands included). To check your time zone difference, please visit this link: www.timeanddate.com.
* Check registration conditions.
- Manuel DESANTES REAL, Professor of Private International Law, University of Alicante. Of Counsel, Elzaburu. Fide Academic Advisor
- Javier FERNÁNDEZ-LASQUETTY QUINTANA, Partner at Elzaburu SLP, Fide Academic Advisor
- Laurent MANDERIEUX, Adjunct Professor of Intellectual Property Law and International and European Law, Member of the Directorate Board, Bocconi University. Fide Academic Advisor
- miércoles 08 de septiembre, 2021 Global Digital Encounter 15: Towards a more predictable legal framework for cross-border intellectual property disputes: the ILA-Kyoto Guidelines
- miércoles 30 de marzo, 2022 Global Digital Encounter 19: Artificial Intelligence and the Audiovisual World (Online)
- miércoles 11 de mayo, 2022 Global Digital Encounter 20: Standard Essential Patents
- miércoles 29 de junio, 2022 Global Digital Encounters 21: The Metaverse as a Challenge to Classical IP