Fide holds this session via the online platform Microsoft Teams. In order to attend it is essential to request your assistance through the AreaFide platform.
- Alison Firth, MA, MSc, Barrister Professor Emeritus in Law, University of Surrey
- Craig Nard, Galen J. Roush Professor of Law and Director of the Spangenberg Center for Law, Technology & the Arts at Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Alain Strowel, Intellectual Property Professor at the Universities of Saint-Louis, Brussels and at the UCLouvain
- Gabriele Gagliani, Lecturer in Law & Faculty Member at Bocconi University, and Adjunct Professor at Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH, U.S.A.)
For British, European and Worldwide IP, Brexit means a partial fragmentation of a major IP Regional construction. This is a new phenomenon that is going in the exact opposite direction of the international evolution of IP, marked by 140 years of further regional and global harmonization trends. This fragmentation is taking place in the midst of the Covid crisis. Which meanings might be expected from this change largely unwanted by the IP Family? Will the UK and EU approach on various IPRs rapidly diverge? On which IPRs is this scenario likely and can we say that regional and international IP treaties applicable to both the EU and the UK have rendered this “divorce” less painful than what it could have been? How do all these European matters relate to the rest of the world? Speakers from Europe and North America will provide a worldwide picture of this foreseeable changed environment under a deeply transformed post-crisis world and elaborate on possible future scenarios.
Methodology: The dynamic of the session will respect the usual rules of Fide and the participation and interaction of the speakers and attendees as well, making only the changes required for its celebration on line.
Schedule: The session will be held from 5.00 to 6.00 pm using the online platform Microsoft Teams.
The time shown is adjusted to the time zone of Peninsular Spain (Balearic Islands included). To check your time zone difference, please visit this link: www.timeanddate.com.
- Manuel Desantes Real, Professor of Private International Law, University of Alicante. Of Counsel, Elzaburu. Member of FIDE’s Academic Council
- Javier Fernández-Lasquetty Quintana, Abogado y profesor. Socio de Elzaburu SLP, Member of FIDE’s Academic Council
- Laurent Manderieux, Adjunct Professor of Intellectual Property Law and International and European Law, Member of the Directorate Board, Bocconi University. Member of FIDE’s Academic Council