Fide holds this session via the online platform Microsoft Teams. In order to attend it is essential to request your assistance through the AreaFide platform*.
- Andrés GUADAMUZ, Senior Lecturer in Intellectual Property Law at the University of Sussex
- Dr. Michaela MACDONALD, Lecturer at the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, Queen Mary University of London
- Gregor PRYOR, Partner at international law firm, Reed Smith. He is co-chair of the firms global Entertainment and Media Industry Group
Fide and TIPSA (Transatlantic Intellectual Property Academy) present the 21st Global Digital Encounter in which we’ll gather with IP experts from Costa Rica and the UK to discuss the Metaverse as a challenge to classical IP.
During, and further to the COVID Crisis, the Metaverse steadily developed, and its role became even more central for the Business World. Its massive use connected to key economic sectors (Art, Retail, Innovative Business) brings legal consequences, for Classical IP, and offers real challenges in particular to Trademark Law, Copyright and Neighboring Rights Law and the Patent world. New business models are in urgent need for clarity on the interaction of the metaverse and NFTs with classical IP. Which meanings might be expected from this evolution / revolution? Speakers from Europe and the Americas will provide a worldwide picture of the future of “The Metaverse as a Challenge to Classical IP”, including on re-imagining IP in this area in favor of both business and consumers/society.
The encounter will take place next Wednesday, June 29th, in the usual GDE format, vía Microsoft Teams Webinars.
Methodology: The dynamic of the session will respect the usual rules of Fide and the participation and interaction of the speakers and attendees as well, making only the changes required for its celebration on line. All sessions organized at Fide are convened under the Chatham House Rule, participants have the right to use the information they receive, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of any other participant may be revealed.
Schedule: The session will be held from 4.30 to 5.30 pm using the online platform Microsoft Teams.
The time shown is adjusted to the time zone of Peninsular Spain (Balearic Islands included). To check your time zone difference, please visit this link: www.timeanddate.com.
* Check registration conditions.
- Manuel DESANTES REAL, Professor of Private International Law, University of Alicante. Of Counsel, Elzaburu. Fide Academic Advisor
- Laurent MANDERIEUX, Adjunct Professor of Intellectual Property Law and International and European Law, Member of the Directorate Board, Bocconi University. Fide Academic Advisor